Saturday, January 22, 2005

Go Figure

When Paul Martin was elected Prime Minister in a minority government I gotta admit I was concerned. My feelings toward him as the leader of the Liberal Party was definitely ambiguous. In short I didn't trust him to follow thru on the many social issues that Jean Cretien had initiated that were near and dear to my heart. Slowly however I am starting to see evidence of life that actually suprised me. Go figure .... Today I found this in the Globe and Mail.

Ottawa — Justice Minister Irwin Cotler rejects the Catholic Church's call for the federal government to delay a decision on same-sex civil marriages by invoking the notwithstanding clause to override the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

[snip]

"If we've got 12 prohibited grounds of discrimination under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, we can't just cherry pick and say, 'Okay, 11 of those which deal with discrimination on the grounds of race, religion, national and ethnic origin, gender and the like, they're okay. But when it comes to sexual orientation, well, we're not going to respect that one....."

There you have it. Signs of intelligent life in the universe.


No comments: