Saturday, September 05, 2009

What I believe ...

Whenever I tell someone I am an atheist the usual response, unless they are also atheist, is that they look at me like I am from another planet. I don't know why they are so shocked but I can hazard a guess. I think it's because I don't look like an atheist. What does an atheist look like you may ask? Well I am not totally sure but I think we are supposed to be rather large, maybe purple in colour with little horns on our foreheads. We may or may not have a spiked tail, but the jury is still out on that I think ...

The most insulting response I can think of however, is when they respond "Really?!? That's so sad ...."

EXCUSE ME? SAD???? WTF?

Exactly who do you think you are to judge me like that? How totally holier than thou arrogant are you? Are you SERIOUS? I have a couple of things to share with those folks.

I am neither sad nor lacking. There is no void in my life. I live my life by an ethical code that you would say is *moral* even tho you would privately assert that as a atheist I am completely immoral.

I am a wife and mother to 2 wonderful grown children, in whom I tried my best to instill the same concepts and ethical guidelines that shape my own life. I believe in science and use logic and rational thought to guide my decisions. I think it is our responsibility to take care of those less fortunate than ourselves and that contributing to social programs to help the least among us is our ethical duty. I believe in evolution and global warming and I know that this life is all there is so I try (and sometimes succeed) to make the most of it while I am still here.

I believe in a woman's right to choose and universal health care is a must for any civilized society. I believe that if 2 people love each other it is there RIGHT to confirm it in any manner they choose ... marriage is a CIVIL ceremony. I believe in the separation of church and state and freedom of religion includes freedom FROM religion. I DO NOT think churches should be tax exempt.

I believe it is the right of the individual to choose when their life should end. I believe that when I die I will be returned to the earth and eventually in the fullness of time to space, where who knows, the elements and molecules that were once me may become part of another world, another life ... eternity is a long time ... I DO NOT believe my consciousness will continue after my death (my soul to you religious folks out there) I DO not fear death although the dying part does scare me a little.

I am NOT angry or mad at god. How can one hate an imaginary creature? I DO however loath the idea of him much as I would loath any psychopathic deranged villain in any other fictional novel. Have you ever actually READ the bible? I have ... and the god of the Old Testament is one seriously messed up character.

Oh and by the way, nothing bad happened to me in my past to *turn* me against god, my atheism is NOT cause by some trauma but rather the result of me having a brain and USING it!

I could go on but I think you get the picture.

IA

No comments: