Saturday, September 12, 2009

My view of normal christians vs insane christians

I am an atheist. I make no bones about it. I am not an agnostic ... well I suppose in a STRICT sense I am, but my disbelief is a lot stronger than the term agnostic implies. There is no doubt in my mind that there is no such thing as a god(s) in the universe BUT if by some miracle which I know will not happen, proof suddenly turned up that proved beyond any shadow of doubt that a god existed then I would happily admit my error. The thing is, in the entire history of man there has not been one shred of evidence other than wishful thinking to prove his/her/their/it's existence, and it isn't likely to turn up any time soon either, so the term agnostic is pretty much a misnomer if used to describe my disbelief in an almighty.

As an atheist I admit I have a REAL hard time understanding believers. When I see otherwise sane people claim a belief in a superior being I can't do anything except shake my head. HOW do people that SEEM normal have the ability to hold such illogical perceptions. The truth is a lot of these *believers* aren't REALLY believers. They are just too busy in real life to consider an alternative. It just isn't important enough. They are believers because they were raised by their parents to be believers and it's comfortable, non controversial and the indoctrination at an early age was successful. When confronted tho most of these people admit that they don't really KNOW. The believe because the alternative is just too foreign for them. Believing that there is a genial omni present all powerful being looking out for their welfare is a nice thing. Who wouldn't want that? Well an atheist for one but I digress. They do not believe the bible is the LITERAL word of god but rather a lot of nice moral stories that make a good foundation to live your life by. For the most part I agree. A lot of what people are taught about the bible (the new testament) does contain good common sense rules to live by. The modern theist conveniently often ignores the less wholesome bits. The gory disgusting petulant bits that don't fit into their worldview. I don't blame them. If I were a christian I'd want to ignore those bits too. The nicer parts are a much easier sell.

These kinds of non believing yet practicing christians ... are actually more agnostic and closer to being an atheist than they realize but it just never comes up and besides they have a life to lead. I can respect that. The are honest hard working ethical people who just don't think the whole god/no god issue is worth spending any time on. They are probably right. There ARE bigger more immediate issues to deal with.

Unfortunately the OTHER type of christian also exists. THIS type of christian is a very different animal and one for which I have no sympathy understanding or respect for. They are the dishonest hateful kind of christian. The type of christian that is christian in name only, not in deed OR thought. This type of christian uses the bible as a weapon to control debase or threaten anyone who happens to hold an opposing view. The militant fundamental christian that twists the otherwise hopeful peaceful message of the new testament into something vile and spiteful. THIS type of christian is generally the type that atheists despise and who we fight against when we see injustice done in the name of this movement. They are the christian version of the radical muslim. Willing to use their faith to oppress rather than uplift. To control rather than compromise. They SAY they are doing their god's work ... but so do the radical muslims terrorists. The words of Jesus fall on deaf ears with them even tho they would use him as a club against their enemies and as a method of control. THESE *christians* come from all faiths and are just as dangerous as any terrorist.

THESE are the christians we should ALL be fighting against. Atheists, agnostics AND rational christians because it is that type of rigid obsession with their faith that leads to acts of faith that can only be described as evil. For those of you who believe in such things I'd describe them as demons, spawns of the devil or even lucifer himself ;) I cannot think of them any other way. They would lie to you to further their ends and they'd feel justified in doing so. In the most extreme cases they would even kill. They lack compassion or the ability to love their neighbour. They are as far from being christ like than I can imagine.

You know who they are. They are easy to spot. Don't listen to them.

IA

No comments: